1/2-1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 tablespoons butter, divided
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups of processed cheese (Velveeta), cubed
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
- Brown ground beef in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon butter. Add onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley. Sauté until tender.
- Add broth, potatoes and ground beef. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- In a small skillet, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes. Add to soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat.
- Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper. (Taste before adding salt as broth and cheese may provide enough saltiness.) Cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from the heat and blend in the sour cream. Serve.
Recipe from therecipecritic.com and photo by Lois Linke.