1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup salted mixed nuts (large ones may need to be roughly chopped)
1 cup drained maraschino cherry halves
3/4-1 package chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
1. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs, one and a time; add vanilla
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl.
4. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
5. Gently fold in nuts and maraschino cherries.
6. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 1/2 x 15 1/2-inch pan.
7. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
8. Bake at 325º F for 30 minutes.
9. While bars are baking, make the frosting.
1. Brown the butter in a small skillet or pan over medium heat until deep brown (amber colored). Watch it carefully.
2. Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients; beat until smooth.
3. Frost the bars while warm. Yield: 36 bars (depending on the cut size)
Recipe from Lois Linke's mother's file and photo from Lois Linke, wife of Karl Linke, NFBF district director of member services for the southeast.