2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 shallot finely chopped (or substitute 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion)
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté the shallot until soft, about 2 minutes.
2. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
3. Stir in the mushrooms, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes.
4. Increase the heat to high; cook until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.
5. Add 2 tablespoons water; cook 1 minute. Stir in the flour; cook, stirring constantly until smooth, about 1 minute.
6. Stir in the milk; reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened about 7 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
8. Serve as a sauce over meat or over your favorite pasta.
Recipe from WeightWatchers New Complete Cookbook and photo from Lois Linke, wife of Karl Linke, NFBF district director of member services for the southeast.