4 bacon strips, diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 thin onion slices
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground beef
4 slices processed American cheese
4 hamburger buns
1. In a skillet, cook bacon pieces until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel.
2. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the bacon.
3. In another bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Add the ground beef and mix well.
4. Shape into 8 (1/4-inch thick) patties.
5. Divide bacon mixture among 4 patties. Top each patty with a cheese slice, folding in corners of cheese so they do not extend beyond the edges of the patties.
6. Top with remaining 4 patties; seal edges.
7. Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 10-12 minutes or until meat juices run clear, turning once.
8. Serve on buns.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home’s Quick Cooking Annual Recipes 2001 and photos from Lois Linke, wife of Karl Linke, Nebraska Farm Bureau district director of member services for the southeast.