1 (3-ounce) package Oriental-flavored Ramen noodles
1/2 cup sliced almonds
5 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, torn
1/2 head romaine lettuce, torn (or 1 head of the lettuce of your choice)
5 celery ribs, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin orange sections, drained
1. Crumble noodles. Set flavor packet aside.
2. Bake noodles in a shallow pan at 350º F for 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring after 5 minutes. Remove from oven; cool.
3. In a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, cook sliced almonds and 3 tablespoons sugar, stirring constantly for 5-6 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and almonds are evenly coated. Remove almond mixture from heat and set aside.
4. Whisk together reserved flavor packet, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
5. Toss together lettuces, celery and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss. Add noodles, candied almonds and oranges; toss. Serve immediately.
Recipe from myrecipes.com and photo by Lois Linke, wife of Karl Linke, Nebraska Farm Bureau district director of member services for the southeast.