Policy & Issues
NEBRASKA FARM BUREAU FEDERATION’S TOP STATE ISSUES FOR 2013
PROTECTING WATER RESOURCES
- Create a better tax climate for farmers and ranchers by seeking reductions to agriculture’s property tax burden and maintaining funding for the property tax credit program.
- Maintain sales tax exemptions critical to agriculture’s competitiveness and seek the repeal of the sales tax on agricultural equipment repair parts. Work to assure assessed values for agricultural land better reflect the land’s agricultural use value.
- Protect agriculture’s interests in water use, water management and compliance with interstate compacts.
- Seek broad-based, long-term, dedicated funding to address the state’s water challenges.
- Work to adopt the federal MAP-21 regulations for farm-plated vehicles in state law.
- Assure continued funding for road construction and maintenance.
- Assure regulations on farms and ranches are reasonable, flexible, based on scientific evidence and do not unduly burden or financially harm farmers and ranchers.
- Protect the rights of farmers and ranchers to use commonly accepted farming and animal care practices to operate their farms and ranches.
- Seek means to encourage livestock growth and development in Nebraska.
AMERICAN FARM BUREAU FEDERATION’S TOP NATIONAL ISSUES FOR 2013
- Aggressively working to secure passage of legislation early in the year that addresses both long- and short-term agricultural labor needs is a priority for AFBF.
NEW FARM BILL
- Passage of the Water Resources Development Act and reform of the harbor maintenance trust fund and the inland waterways trust fund is another priority for AFBF.
- Work to secure passage of a new farm bill that meets core principles important to farmers and ranchers. This includes a farm income safety net and crop insurance products to provide risk management tools that help protect farmers from catastrophes, including programs that provide emergency assistance for livestock and specialty crop producers not covered by farm programs or federal crop insurance.
CLEAN WATER ACT
- Defend standards and incentives necessary to further develop the U.S. renewable fuels industry.
- Oppose Environmental Protection Agency efforts to expand the scope of navigable waters subject to federal regulations under the Clean Water Act.
- Oppose expansion of the federal Clean Water Act permit requirements for poultry and livestock farmers and ranchers.
- Protect farmers’ and ranchers’ interests in development of Food and Drug Administration food safety regulations.
© 2013 Nebraska Farm Bureau. All rights reserved.