Farm Bureau Day At the Capitol
There is strength in numbers. The more Farm Bureau members we have engaged with their state senator, the more voices we have committed to solutions, and the larger voice we have on local, state, and national issues. Nebraska Farm Bureau encourages county Farm Bureaus to sign up for a County Farm Bureau Day @ the Capitol, Bruce Rieker vice president of governmental relations said Dec. 11.
Below is a sample schedule and planning guide for your trip to Lincoln. County Farm Bureaus will be responsible for any needed lodging and transportation to and from Lincoln, scheduling a meeting with their state senator, inviting the senator to lunch, and the cost of additional meals during the day. However, Nebraska Farm Bureau will cover the cost of lunch for your state senator(s), up to five members of the county Farm Bureau, as well as NEFB staff.
To schedule your County Farm Bureau Day at the Capitol, Contact Jay Ferris, director of grassroots, programs at (402) 421-4409.
Arrive at the Nebraska Farm Bureau state office building (5225 S. 16th Street, Lincoln, NE 68512) for a tour of the office and an opportunity to meet with Farm Bureau staff.
Carpool to the Capitol and receive a tour of the building, a legislative briefing, and watch the floor debate from the gallery or the Rotunda.
|11:00 a.m.||Meet with your state senator.|
Lunch near the Capitol with Nebraska Farm Bureau staff and your invited state senator.
|1:30 p.m.||Return to the Capitol to attend a legislative hearing.|
|3:30 p.m.||Return to the Farm Bureau state office to return home.|
Day at the Capitol Planning Guide
- Schedule your County Farm Bureau Day @ the Capitol. Contact Jay Ferris, director of grassroots programs at (402) 421-4409 for all the details.
- We encourage you to contact your state senator’s office to schedule a meeting and invite them to lunch.
Do this at least two weeks prior to the Day @ the Capitol but after the date is set with the Nebraska Farm Bureau office. Senator’s schedules are busy, so be prepared to be flexible in setting a time to meet for lunch.
- Prepare for the meeting (please dress in business attire). You are representing your County Farm Bureau and Nebraska Farm Bureau, so you should be prepared to make a good impression on your legislator(s). Farm Bureau staff will provide background information on relevant legislative issues.
- Follow-up with a thank you note. Upon your return home, be sure you mail a nice thank you note to your state senator. This is a must. *Also, if you do a press release for your Day @ the Capitol that is published in your local newspaper, mail a clipping to your senator as well – especially if the clip mentions your meeting with him or her.
- Stay in touch. Remember your legislators serve your district. Be sure to invite them to your banquets or events showcasing your County Farm Bureau or agriculture in your county. Day @ the Capitol is a great way for you and your County Farm Bureau to establish or build upon a positive relationship with your elected official. Let them know they can call on you if they need anything as well. It is a two-way street.