Recipe by Danielle Spivey
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- 1-to-2-pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 (16 ounce) can(s) chili beans, undrained
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan over medium high heat, combine the ground beef, onion, and bell peppers. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until beef is browned. Drain excess fat.
Add the chili powder, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, chile peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beans and heat through.
Pour chili into bowls and serve with your choice of toppings.
- Fried onions or tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- Cilantro leaves and/or chopped scallions
- Sour cream