Heat Stress and Cattle Advisory

What do I do if I’ve lost livestock in high temperature, high humidity weather event?

Due to heat conditions Nebraska Farm Bureau is reminding livestock producers of resources to help monitor and manage these high temperature, high humidity weather events. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has technical and financial assistance available to help Nebraska livestock producers. Producers impacted by these events should contact their local USDA Service Center to report losses and learn more about program options available to assist in their recovery from livestock losses and damages. You can find the full list of resources available here.

Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP): LIP financially assists producers when they suffer loss of livestock due to adverse weather. To learn more about LIP, please click here.

A Few Things to Remember

  • This program is designed to help producers who lost livestock, however, please know it isn’t designed to make producers financially “whole.”
  • Livestock that have died or been injured due to natural disaster are eligible for payments.  
  • Producers looking to utilize LIP must file a “Notice of Loss” with your local FSA office within 30 days of when the loss was first apparent.
  • USDA Programs generally require documentation in order to utilize the program. Please be sure to maintain records of losses and contact your local FSA office so you know exactly the type of records you will need to turn into the office with your paperwork.

What do I do with dead livestock?

If utilizing on-site burial, the animal must be placed at least four feet below the surface of the ground. The utilization of burning and composting are also allowed under certain conditions. For more information, contact the Nebraska Department of Environment and Energy (NDEE) Waste Management Section: 402-471-4210 or click here for a factsheet detailing the regulations on livestock carcass disposal.

How can I be proactive to help livestock beat the heat?

If you are interested in potential funding to help purchase new heat mitigation technology for your livestock facility, please consider looking into the Livestock Modernization Act.